Ode on a Grecian URL

Friday, December 02, 2005

Make-up hebdomadals and an irresponsible digression

The syllabus promises you the opportunity of writing a make-up hebdomadal if you've missed any of the hebdomadals over the course of the semester. You may write on either of the "Goblin Market" topics below, if you like. If I'm inspired by The Importance of Being Earnest next week I might also post a short Wilde question.

*

So, in 302 this morning we were talking about how gossip about you helps form your character. Lindsay, who was particularly brilliant this morning, pointed out that it is gossip that goes against the grain of how you think of yourself - how you construct your self-image - that has the most power for change. I couldn't help but think, as an illustration of this phenomenon, of what happened to my teaching style when I discovered my Ratemyprofessor.com listing. Seriously, if you noticed a radical change in my teaching style about halfway through the semester that was the reason.
:: posted by Mike, 11:18 AM