Ode on a Grecian URL

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Things I am kicking myself for having forgotten to say Friday

For some reason, I'm always more nervous teaching the last day of class than teaching the first. Anyway, in my haste to get to the evaluations I skipped over one of the most important items on my lesson plan - and I did this in both sections. Here's the point, and I think it's an important one: I don't buy into the fast food model of education the University follows for its intro courses. This means that I would be delighted to continue working with you in future semesters - to talk with you about your writing, say, either via the Writing Center or casually over coffee.

I am always happy to suggest good courses (or at least good professors) in our department; and, if you plan on majoring in English, I'd be delighted to talk to you about your course distribution and the work you might think about doing over breaks in order to have a strong background for the classes you take.

For that matter, I'm always delighted to talk to you about literature. If you want any suggestions about great books to read over break, I am totally your guy.

And please feel free to contact me whenever you need a letter of recommendation written: because I keep your hebdomadals, papers and email correspondence pretty much indefinitely I can pretty easily review your work in this course and write a fairly detailed recommendation even years hence. (Of course, when you're applying to things after graduation you probably should rely on professors' recommendations. Anyway, I'm here.)

I'll be pursuing my Ph.D. here for at least the next three and a half years, during that time and probably even after you will be able to reach me at the same email address you've been using to reach me all semester.
:: posted by Mike, 10:54 AM