Ode on a Grecian URL

Monday, January 16, 2006

A grotesque aspect is worth 1,000 ironies

As next semester begins tomorrow, I suppose it is time that I wrap up this blog. Here are some notes, as promised, from my readings of essays from last semester:
A last note: theses are not easy to write, and they are specifically hard to write concisely. Just by way of a last example to close out our semester, here is the excellent, pithy, specific, interesting thesis of Kevin (301)'s essay:
Mary Shelley’s thoughts suggest that an ideal society should strive for knowledge at a healthy level, that is, not in excess.
I realize it's not necessarily useful to you, as individual writers, to hear where you are as a class, but I do feel confident after this semester that you are as a bloc in about the right position to move into literature courses in the future. You'll find that writing in, say, 200-level literature courses will take some of the writerly behaviors I discussed last semester as a given and will focus instead on new problems; the nature of writing and of analysis is that it is a constant trek upwards.

Remember, if you are making this trek, that I am always here to help you. Please, please feel free to email me whenever if there is anything I can do to help you work through writing essays in lit classes.
:: posted by Mike, 6:35 PM