Ode on a Grecian URL

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Another practice midterm

I posted a practice midterm below, but if you want more practice this is a practice midterm that my fellow TA Emily put together with her students this week.


Part I. Identification of three passages. 21 minutes. 70 percent. (7 minutes per passage)

Write on three of the following five passages. For each one,

1. identify the text in which the passage occurs and name its author, (2 points)
2. write one or two sentences describing the context of the passage by identifying the speaker(s) or figure(s) involved; where in the development of the narrative the passage occurs; and what precisely is happening or being described, (5 points)
3. state briefly the significance of the passage for the themes of the text. In describing the significance, you should point to specific details – images, telling words, metaphors – to support your account. Without these details you will not get full credit for your answer. (7 points):

1. "That was a memorable day to me, for it made great changes in me. But, it is the same with any life. Imagine one selected day struck out of it, and think how different its course would have been. Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

2. "Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other, or ever so similar before-hand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always contrive to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life."

3. “But there's this difference; one is gold put to the use of paving stones, and the other is tin polished to ape a service of silver—Mine has nothing valuable about it; yet I shall have the merit of making it go as far as such poor stuff can go.

4. "Out of my thoughts! You are part of my existence, part of myself. You have been in every line I have ever read, since I first came her, the rough common boy whose poor heart you wounded even then."

5. "He fixed his eyes on me longer than I cared to return the stare, for fear I might be tempted either to box his ears or render my hilarity audible. I began to feel unmistakably out of place in that pleasant family circle. The dismal spiritual atmosphere overcame, and more than neutralized the glowing physical comforts round me; and I resolved to be cautious how I ventured under those rafters a third time"

Part II. Analysis of one passage. 15 minutes. 30 percent.

Write a concise analysis of one of the five passages selected in Part I

1. Do a close reading of the passage you have selected. (20 points)

2. Identify at least one formal characteristic of the passage and state its relevance to your reading. (10 points)

:: posted by Mike, 11:22 AM